Benjamin turned seven a few weeks ago.
Seven! I have a seven-year-old. How the heck did that happen? Yesterday, he was seven hours old.
Now, he’s seven.
Time flies.
And being seven means that he’s big, right? Really big. Certainly too big to kiss his mom before getting on the bus to school.
Early one morning, not so long ago, I tried to give Ben a peck before he ran for the bus.
“Moooommmmm,” Ben whined. “Not in front of my dudes.” Then he took off after the other kids up the steps of the bus.
Huh? Your dudes? What dudes? Where are the dudes?
I asked Ben about it when he came home that afternoon.
“Mommy, you can’t kiss me in front of the guys at the bus stop. It’s embarrassing.”
Embarrassing? He has guys? I did say he turned seven, not seventeen.
Look, I’m sure that it isn’t the first, and I can guarantee it won’t be last, time that I embarrass Ben. There are just so many ways, and so little time. But, I thought I’d have a little more time (like six or seven years) before the thought of kissing his mom at the bus stop mortified him. And I’m not even talking about a big ‘ole smacker on the lips either. Usually, I graze the ends of Ben’s hair as he beelines for the bus.
Following his big brother’s lead, Nicholas has started boycotting bus stop kisses too. Nicholas! My kindergarten cuddle-bug.
It was time for drastic measures, so last night I instituted a new rule: You don’t kiss mommy goodbye at the bus stop, you don’t get fed.
Considering that I can never quite fill-up my bottomless pits, I think this rule might just work.
Ben and Nicholas were not impressed.
“Mommy,” Ben quizzed. “Are you really not going to feed us if we don’t kiss you?” I could tell he was skeptical.
“Well,” I replied. “Don’t kiss me at the bus stop and you’ll find out.”
It’s a completely empty threat, you and I know. But, Benjamin and Nicholas don’t.
My neighbor, the wonderful Mrs. P. offered to teach us the sign for “kiss” in American Sign Language. A compromise to keep everyone happy. I get my kiss, and Ben gets to make hand gestures at me. I mentioned the idea to Ben this morning.
“I don’t think so Mommy,” Ben said. “It’s cool, but it’s kind of more weird.”
More weird? We’ll work on your grammar later.
“How about this?” Ben asked. He kissed his hand, then slapped his hand to mine.
Yeah, that’s not going to work for me. You can high-five your dudes. Mommies get kissed. At the very least, on the cheek.
Here’s the deal, kid: Life is just too short and too unpredictable. Our world is scary, and I need to know that I’ve sent you off into it bubble-wrapped in as much love as I can. So I will kiss you, everyday, before you get on the bus. I might hug you too. And if it embarrasses you, too bad. Just wait until you are nine or eleven or thirteen. It’s really going to embarrassed you then. But at thirty, we might reminisce about how your silly old mom kissed you every morning in front of your dudes. And at seventy you’ll remember me and think back on those moments fondly, knowing how loved you were. And that goes for your brother too.
Now, pucker up!
xo Naomi
LOL Naomi. You're funny. You just got "Cool-blocked". :-) Here's something neat, though. Marie actually says, "Thanks Mom, I love you!" on the phone when signing off or when leaving me, now. This NEVER would have happened in elementary school! So, oddly enough, it's not uncool when you're a Freshman. And Joe is somewhat affectionate, too, even around his friends. For that matter, both boys chase after me when they're all sweaty from Football for a hug. The "Cool-Block" doesn't last long. Until it eases up, will they settle for a huge hug and giant smooch, in private, before you leave for the bus stop? ;-)
ReplyDeleteWhen they get older, what gets really disgusting is when you lean up to give your honey a peck to thank him/say bye/say hi/because he's there. It causes strokes in teens. Fair warning. Sometimes Mike tries to "fake-make-out" just to see how many ambulances we may have to call all at once. LOL!
Oh my gosh Patti!! Your comment made me laugh so hard!!! If I see ambulances rushing down your street, I'll know why! Ben said I could have a kiss in the car before he gets out fort he bus. Not sure what his plan is when we walk!!
Delete