Remember the great shoe fail? When I left Ben in shoes two sizes too small? Of course. Ben remembers too, and reminds me about it often: “Mommy, remember when my shoes were wayyyyyyyyy too small and hurt my toes?”
Right.
Anyway, while I was buying the boys new shoes this summer, I happened to find a new pair for me too. Don’t you love when that happens? The cutest pair of closed-toed flats, just perfect for skinny jeans. And they were the most comfortable pair of shoes that I had tried on in a long while, at least for the five minutes that I wore them. I walked around the store my tootsies feeling, and looking, great. I couldn’t wait for the fall to break out my new footwear.
Not so fast, said my feet. Along came fall, and with it, my new shoes. Oh, and a whole lot of blisters. Yep. Blisters. Where did the comfort go?
The boys and I were walking though Target today, me in my shoes, trying to ignore the obnoxious little hot spots on the back of my heels.
“Hold on a sec, boys. I need to put a few band-aids on my feet.” I stopped at the end of one aisle, pushing our cart out of the way.
“Mommy, why do you need band-aids?” Nicholas asked as I pulled some out of my purse. Jack and the Neverland Pirate band-aids. How do you know a mom? She has thematic band-aids in her purse.
“I have blisters on my heels,” I told him. “Every time I wear these shoes, they give me blisters.”
Ben looked at me quizzically, “Mommy. If those shoes give you blisters every time you wear them, then WHY do you keep wearing them?”
Good question.
“Well,” I answered. “Because they’re cute.”
Honestly, I didn't have a better answer. The shoes aren’t comfortable, aren’t practical and I have other pairs. Vanity won this time around.
“Mommy, that just doesn’t make any sense.” Ben replied.
And Ben was right. It doesn’t make sense, other than nothing makes you feel as good as a cute pair of shoes.
Unless, of course, they give you blisters.
In other Ben news, my oldest was pouring milk for dinner tonight when Nicholas asked to be taught how.
“Ben,” Nicholas implored his big brother. “Please, PLEASE teach me your trick for pouring milk. PLEASE TEACH ME YOUR TRICK.”
Ben gave Nicholas a sideways glance as he continued to pour, “Nicholas there isn’t a trick. It’s just talent.”
Humble, isn’t he?
Happy Monday everyone!
xo Naomi
Sometimes our answers to our kids do not always have to make sense.. to them! Hope your blisters are better.
ReplyDelete