Nicholas has become very, very good at evading bedtime for as long as he can. He’ll try every trick at his disposal to push his bedtime for just a few minutes longer whenever he can:
“I need to use the bathroom.”
“Mommy, I need a drink of water.”
“Papa, I’m too cold. Can I change my pajamas?”
“Mommy, I’m too hot. Can I change my pajamas?”
“Papa, you didn’t say goodnight to me yet.”
“Mommy, I need snuggles.” Gotta admit, this one is hard to resist.
“Mommy, Moo needs snuggles.” Easier to resist.
“I’m still thirsty. I need another drink of water.”
“I drank too much water. I need to use the bathroom again.”
Some nights, it’s a nightmare…about three minutes after we turn out the light. Right.
Last night, I was headed downstairs when a little voice called me from his bedroom. Guess who?
“Nicholas. It is time for bed. Go to sleep.” I said, one foot on the top stair.
“But Mommy!” My youngest replied with urgency. “I have something really, really important to tell you.”
“Nicholas…” I warned.
“Really Mommy, it’s important!!” Could I hear tears in his voice? He’d been sick all weekend. Croup. Had his fever come back? Did his chest hurt?
The mommy guilt got the best of me. Best to check.
I opened Nicholas’ bedroom door and approached his bed, “Okay kid. What is it?”
“Mommy, someday can we buy a sombrero?”
A sombrero?
Seriously?!! I know, my own fault. I fell for it. Fool me once…
I put my lips to Nicholas’ forehead, assuring myself that his request had nothing to do with being feverish. It hadn’t.
“Nicholas, someday we might get a sombrero. Right now, go to sleep. You can dream about sombreros.”
And maybe he did.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment