Some days, my boys make me so proud that I want to burst!
Ben’s elementary school hosts a Scholastic Book Fair several times a year. My monkeys love the book fair. I do too. So many wonderful books to choose from – and at great prices too. Choosing a book, or two, is like trying to eat just one chocolate chip. Impossible. Parents and siblings are invited to the book fair, so Benjamin and Nicholas were both more than a little excited about their visit. Especially since this last fair for the year was buy one book, get one book free. What could be better? Benjamin wanted Magic Tree House chapter books. Nicholas talked all week about a Star Wars themed picture book.
This afternoon was Ben’s turn at Book Fair. Nicholas and I had planned to meet him in the school library to make out choices. It didn’t happen. I’ve had a cold since Sunday. When I woke up this morning feeling exhausted with a sore chest, my mom (thanks mom!) prodded me to make an appointment with my doctor. Turns out I have pneumonia. Nothing that a good Z-pack can’t fix, but it did mean missing the book fair. I sent an envelope with money to school, and emailed Ben’s teacher to let her know I wouldn’t be there. Ben took it in stride. Nicholas was momentarily (he is five, after all) devastated. Dreams of a Star Wars book were dashed.
Or so Nicholas thought.
When Benjamin came home this afternoon, he emptied his school bag to show-off his six (six!) new books. Two Magic Tree Houses, A Fly Guy adventure (another favorite in our house), and a new chapter book about Terrors of the Deep (ocean, that is). Finally, Ben pulled a surprise from his backpack: A Star Wars picture book about the solar system for his little brother. And since it was a BOGO event Ben chose a second book, Disney’s Planes with 3D glasses, for Nicholas too.
Nicholas was all smiles. I could not have been more proud. Not once had I asked Ben to choose a book for his brother. In my rush to rework our afternoon plans, I had completely forgotten about getting Nicholas a book. Ben did not forget. When I asked him why he thought of Nicholas, he replied matter-of-factly:
“Well, Mommy. Nicholas really wanted a Star Wars book, so I got him one.”
What else if there to say? My heart is smiling.
Now, Benjamin is generally a pretty thoughtful kid, but this was special. It was one of those incredible moments, experienced as a parent, that gets me through all the times I doubt.
Nicholas had his own sweet moment today too. After returning home from the pharmacy, to pick-up my antibiotics, my youngest was hungry for lunch. I let Nicholas know that I was going to put my medicine away upstairs, then make him a sandwich. When I walked into the kitchen, Nicholas was busy making himself lunch. Honey on a hamburger bun! He later told me, “You were tired, so I made my own lunch.” What a honey he is!
Pierre even came home early from work, picked Ben up from the bus, made supper, and took both kids to Ben’s swim-team practice. Sigh.
And I napped on the couch.
I am so in love with my boys.
xo Naomi
You have a great family and I like that you all love each other! Keep up the good work and have a nice day!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Irene. That is such a lovely thing to say!!
Delete