The boys got new toothbrushes yesterday. Electric toothbrushes. Electric Avenger toothbrushes. There might be nothing better to a little boy than an electric Avenger toothbrush.
Nicholas chose the new brushes during our grocery trip: Ironman for him, and since there was no Captain America, Thor for Benjamin. Now, neither has seen The Avengers or any other superhero movie, but both know all about them…or almost all about them. How does that happen? I don’t know. Maybe innate knowledge of all things superhero and Star Wars (ask the the boys anything about Star Wars, they’ll tell you. Never seen the movie) is on the Y chromosome somewhere.
With new toothbrushes in hand, or in mouth rather, their pre-bedtime conversation went something like this:
Nicholas: Ben, Ironman is the leader of the Avengers (though it sounded more like: “Bghertn, Irghnmatrn ‘s th’ leaghter ‘f th’ Aghrvenghters”).
Never try to have a conversation with a toothbrush in your mouth.
No worries though, Ben understood: No Nicholas. It’s Captain America. He’s the leader.
Nicholas: No Ben. Ironman.
Ben: Nicholas. It’s Captain America. Everyone knows that if you’re called Captain, then you’re the leader.
Nicholas: Ironman!
Ben: Captain America!
Nicholas: IRONMAN!!!
This went on for a bit until I interrupted, “Boys, spit and rinse. And I’m pretty sure that the Avengers work together. They’re pretty good at getting along.”
Hear the subliminal message? Nicholas didn’t.
He looked at me, eyes narrowed, clutching his toothbrush. He was unconvinced that I knew anything about The Avengers (and between you and I, I don’t. Is it Ironman? I couldn’t say, although I am partial to Captain America myself). Nicholas replied:
“No Mommy. Ironman is really the leader. IRONMAN.”
Clearly, it was time for bed.
Like those pearly whites? Thank The Avengers.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment