Skip to main content

Wrath of the Sleep Fairies

I should never have said that the boys were sound sleepers.

Uttering those two little words – sound sleepers – was an invitation to the Sleep Fairies from the Land of Nod to whip their sleepy-dust filled heads my way and mess with the boys’ slumber. And by the boys’ slumber, I really mean mine. Pierre’s too. Just when we thought it was safe to go back to bed, the Sleep Fairies sneered, “Oh yeah? Sounds sleepers? Watch this!”

Benjamin was up at 1:48 a.m. last night. Or morning. Whatever. It was early – very, very early – and I was sleepy.

“Mommy,” Benjamin crept his way to my side of the bed (why is it always my side?), “I had a bad dream”.

Ugh. Bad dreams stink for all involved. It’s hard to fix a bad dream. I can tuck back in sheets, find a lost lovey or get a heat pillow for growing pains, but there is no quick fix for a nightmare. There is nothing I can do to erase the pictures when he closes his eyes again, or get rid of the lingering scared. Yep. Bad dreams really, really stink.

I groggily walked Benjamin back to bed. On the way, he told me that he had been dreaming about a beetle in a tree who was trying to nip him. Naughty beetle. I reassured him that there was no tree, no beetle, and nothing to worry about. Beetles don’t like nipping Bens. Once back in bed, I tucked Lamby under Ben’s arm, pulled the sheets up to his chin, and smoothed the hair back from his brow.  

“You know the best thing about bad dreams Ben?” I asked. “They aren’t real.”

Ben nodded his head. I gave him a little kiss, and made my way back to my sheets. No more than two minutes later, Ben was back on my side. The Sleep Fairies yawned and said, not so fast.

“Mommy. I can’t fall back asleep. Every time I close my eyes, the beetle comes back.”

This time, Pierre walked Ben back to him room, gave him Lamby, tucked him back in bed. Guess what happened? The Sleep Fairies were relentless.

“Mommy. There’s a shadow in my room that’s scaring me. It looks like the beetle.”

Back to Ben’s room to move around toys and books until the shadow was gone. I realized, once again, just how much stuff he has. Time to clean!

Unfortunately, Ben still wasn’t convinced that he could fall back asleep, “Mommy. I don’t like beetles. I think they bite.”

“You now Ben, some beetles are really cool,” I said. “There’s even a kind of beetle that helps to clean up the Earth by eating poop.” I know, but it was about 2:30 a.m. and the best that I had.

At this point, I wasn’t sure whether Ben was really still afraid of the beetle, or just awake and looking for a little company. My suspicions were confirmed when he told me, “Mommy, if you stayed in my room, I could probably fall asleep.”

Um, not happening kid. The Sleep Fairies fell off their toadstools from laughing.

“Sorry Ben. You sleep in your room, and I sleep in mine. And now, it’s time to close your eyes and go back to bed.”

Pierre and I listened to Ben whimper for the next ten minutes or so until all was quiet. The Sleep Fairies took pity on a pair of tired parents, and let our child fall back to (beetle-less) sleep.

Thank you Sleep Fairies.

xo Naomi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Medicine

So, after blogging about Ben’s ear infection, a good friend messaged me on Facebook with a unique remedy for ear pain. She’s had a ruptured eardrum, so if she says that this works, I’m inclined to believe her. Here’s the message: “If Ben complains about pain, take an onion and mash it as you would a potato. Then, wrap it in something and heat it in the microwave till it’s hot (not hot like I'll burn you if I touch it, but hot). Take it out of the microwave and wrap it in a towel (don't worry you can wash it out after), put it on a pillow and then have Ben put his sore ear on it. When he no longer feels the heat, move a piece of towel away so he is one layer closer to the onion.” What do you think? Neat, eh? My pediatrician recommended a few drops of olive oil in the ear to ease pain. I’ve tried it with Ben, and it seemed to give him some relief. I’m going to try the onion. Why not? It’s an alternative that just might work. And I think that Ben would find it kind of fun to put...

Here we go….

I’ve been wanting to start a blog for a while now. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about starting it, talking about starting it, tinkering with the layout (and that was hard because I am basically a computer-dummy), and now, writing it. Is anyone actually going to read what I write on here? Maybe. Well….my mom will read it (Hi Mom!). Regardless, I do have a purpose to starting this, and here it is: Deciding to be a mom was one the very best decision that I have ever made (second only to marrying Pierre), and I want to share that. The time spent being home with my boys goes by so fast. Ok….let’s rephrase that….actual days can seem endless (and there are definitely times when I call Pierre at work, and tell him not to dare come home without wine. Or chocolate. Or both!!), but still each day, each week, seems to be going by faster and faster. I blinked and my youngest went from being a baby to turning three years old this coming Tuesday. And the next time I blink he’ll be thirty-three!...

Caterpillars Are Friends

After all the complaining about ticks, I probably should try to show that I am a friend to most creepy-crawlies. So, allow me to introduce to the newest members of our family….five Painted-Lady Butterfly caterpillars.   Nicholas received these little critters for his birthday from our very good friends Kim & Brad, and their three awesome kiddos.  (Kim used to teach preschool…can you tell?). They came as part of a Live Butterfly Garden and Hatching Kit. We ordered our caterpillars online (anyone interested? Check out www.insectlore.com ), and within three days our caterpillars were delivered to our front porch (I wonder what the postman thought of that? Hope he doesn’t mind larvae!). The boys and I followed the directions in the box, which pretty much amounted to leaving the hungry little bugs alone, (Nicholas needs frequent reminders. He likes to turn the jar upside-down. Can caterpillars have heart attacks?), and in a few more days we should have five little chrysalid...