…tooth that is.
Ben lost another tooth today. For anyone keeping count (and I hope you are because I keep losing track), that is tooth number six. Six lost teeth for my six-year-old. I guess that three of those don’t really count as being lost, since he knocked them out last fall. But, it all comes down to one toothless grin, so we’ll say six and leave it at that.
Benjamin came home from school today completely out of sorts. Trying, and failing, to unlock the kitchen door by himself reduced him to tears. Something was definitely up. He’s been fighting the sniffles all week (and is right now complaining of an earache – great), so I thought maybe he had the pre-sick crankies. All three of my boys (yes Pierre, I’m looking at you) are absolute bears right before they come down with a cold. It’s understandable really. Think about how you feel right before a cold: sniffly, achy, just all-around yucky. Bring on the bear.
Now, Ben might still be fighting some germs (who isn’t"?), but the culprit this afternoon was one very loose tooth. Bottom incisor on the right side, to be precise.
“Mommy, I noticed that my tooth was loose on the bus today,” This came out completely garbled as Ben stuck a finger in his mouth to push his tooth back-and-forth. No wonder he’s fighting off germs!
“You did?” Hmmm…I hadn’t noticed any loose teeth lately. How did that one get by me?
“Yep. Look.”
Sure enough, Ben’s tooth was hanging by a thin thread.
“Mommy. It hurts. It reeeeallllyyyyy hurts!!” This from the kid who barely peeped after his tonsillectomy.
“Well, play with it a little. Move it around and it’ll come out soon enough,” I replied.
“But Mommy!!! It HURTS!!” Seriously? There was only one solution.
“If you want Ben, I’ll yank it out for you. It’ll hurt for a minute, then it won’t hurt anymore.”
Now, I know that the thought of pulling out a tooth gives some the chills. Not me. The thought of watching Ben twist that tooth around with his tongue or finger for the rest of the evening chills me much more. Better to get the sucker out and be done with it.
Ben agreed, and I pulled the tooth between a piece of paper towel for traction. I’m sure it did hurt for a second, but the ouch was nothing that a popsicle couldn’t fix.
As if he wasn’t toothless already!
So now, Ben’s grin has another hole. I should have dressed him as a hockey player for Halloween. In fact, I’m pretty sure that I said the same thing last year.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment