I sent Nicholas to school this morning in clothes that do not match.
I wish that I could tell you that Nicholas chose his own clothes, and that I am a really cool mom who supports her child’s choices and independence. Not true. First, I am just not that cool. The boys get to choose their own clothes on the weekends - within reason (no, you cannot wear shorts outside in January even if you are part-Canadian). School clothes are all me. So, this mismatch is completely my doing.
It was just one of those mornings. We were late, and I could not find pants and shirts that matched. What was going on? Were my contact lenses playing tricks on me? Had my eyes aged in a night? In desperation, I pulled Nicholas’ jeans out of the wash-basket. When in a rush, pair a button-down with jeans. My boys wear that combination a lot. What does that tell you? Perfect! The jeans were clean (clean clothes in the laundry…and I wonder why I do so much wash). Not so perfect: the jeans were found under Nicholas’ bathing-suit and towel from swimming lessons yesterday evening. With five minutes to go until we needed to be out the door, there was no time to get them dry. I tinkered with the thought of sending him to school in wet jeans…they were only soaked around the waist-band after all. Just kidding. Sort of.
In the end, he went to school in a brown and orange checkered button-down, brown pants and an orange-trimmed green sweatshirt. On paper, it sounds like all these components together would work. Not so much. Maybe it was because the sweatshirt is getting a tad too small, and was riding up around Nicholas’ belly-button with the checkered shirt peeking out the bottom. Or maybe it was the pants, that were a little too big, with Nicholas’s bright blue Cars underwear sneaking out the top. Add to this, Nicholas desperately needs a haircut, and there was nothing that I could do to tame the frizz that he inherited from me. Ugh. Call the fashion-police.
As we were dashing madly out the front door, I noticed a hole in my poor little man’s running-shoe. Good thing there isn’t any rain in the forecast. The kid was a hot mess, and it was all my fault.
I wish that I had a picture to show you, but the results would have been too incriminating.
Maybe I’d better start putting the boys’ clothes out the night before.
xo Naomi
Hey, Wonderful Mom -- What Nicholas wore to school was L-O-V-E: his love for you and your love for him. A loving smile can always disarm a "mismatch." Love is warm, alluring, matches everything and everyone. No family could have more love than yours, eh? Give yourself lots of the credit you deserve, wonderful mom! (no fault involved!!!)
ReplyDeleteYou always make me smile!! Thank you so much for your encouragement, and your love. It shines through with every word!! xo
Delete