And so it begins.
Benjamin uttered those little words just as I was getting ready to start supper Tuesday evening. I had just poured a glass of wine, and I had to choke back my first lovely sip.
“Excuse me?” I sputtered.
“I’m bored,” He repeated. “There’s nothing to do. We haven’t done anything today.”
Haven’t done anything?!! Are we living on the same planet, kid? We had gone to a dermatologist appointment for Ben that morning (more on this later), and then had Happy Meals as a special you-were-so-good-as-the-doctor-prodded-at-the-mole-on-your-head treat. After lunch there was PT for Ben, reading from our newest chapter book, the making of an epic track for the boys’ toy trains, and cookie making for our local firefighters. To cap-off the afternoon we made slime, courtesy of an oozey-gooey Christmas gift from Uncle Kevin and Auntie Sabrina (um, thanks?!). And this was all with playing, messing, and being all-around nutty in between. I counted at least two time-outs to top it off. I was exhausted, and counting the minutes (and mouthfuls of wine) until Pierre got home.
And Ben was bored.
Now, I am sure that this wasn’t the first time that Benjamin had been bored. I’ve been bored plenty of times myself, quite frankly (You want to play Connect Four again? Hooray…). This was the first time, however, that Ben had put a word to the feeling. Great.
“Well, if you are so bored you can do your homework,” I replied. Homework, the best boredom buster in a mother’s arsenal.
“I don’t want to do my homework right now.” Benjamin whined. Whining, the kid’s counter-attack.
“Too bad, kiddo. Homework time.” I sat Ben down at the kitchen-table, mentally patting myself on the back for winning the Battle of the Bored. My victory was short-lived.
Homework finished, Ben went in for a second-round, “Mommy. I’m really bored.”
Oh, now you’re really bored. I’m sorry. I didn’t understand how dire this situation was. Okay, since you’re really bored let me drop everything and entertain you. Supper doesn’t need to be made. Your pleasure and enjoyment is so much more important.
Yeah, right.
Instead, I replied with none-too-contained annoyance, “Benjamin, you have about ten-thousand toys that you can play with. We just made a train-track in the living-room, and you have Legos all over your bedroom floor. GO FIND SOMETHING TO DO, OR SO HELP ME I WILL FIND SOMETHING FOR YOU TO CLEAN.”
The threat of having to clean, the ultimate weapon in the fight against boredom.
I haven’t heard those little words since. How long do you think it will last?
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment