It’s the end of an era, at least in my house. I consigned my stroller today. We are now a stroller-less family for the first time in over five years. My side-by-side MacLaren will be going to another family who will have the fun of struggling to navigate it’s enormous girth through doorways, elevators and on escalators (better them than me!). And considering that I bought the double-seated mini-bus second-hand, it’s not a bad life for an old stroller.
Maybe I should be sad to see the stroller go. After all, there is nothing that says “you don’t have babies anymore” like giving up your stroller. The boys’ nursery room furniture is long-gone, and I recently gave my glider to a good friend, so the stroller was really my last tether to babyhood. Even though I thought I would be, I’m not sad. Truth be told, and by truth I mean Nicholas, I don’t have babies anymore. My youngest reminds me of this daily. The last time we used the stroller was over a year ago during our trip to Disney with my parents. Since then it has sat untouched, collecting who-knows-what, in the mini-van for a good six months (good thing I disinfected it before consigning!). From the mini-van, the stroller went to the basement, taking up space, and becoming an all-to-tempting plaything to mischievous little monkeys. Besides, my boys are not stroller-kids. They’d rather walk, or ride shoulders any day. And frankly, all the hop-in the stroller, hop-out of the stroller, hang-off the side of the stroller, use the stroller as a surfboard (I’m looking at you Nicholas!), was getting a little dangerous. Safety straps just don’t work when your kids are old enough to work the buckles.
The last time our stroller was put to use – Disney, March 2012.
I’m okay with it. Pierre and I decided when Nicholas was one year-old that we were all done with having babies, for a bunch of reasons. Sometimes I get a little broody, and dream of more blue (or pink) booties. But, I think that emptying my house of all-things-infant helps. The farther away that the boys get from being babies, the less I want to start with another one. And Nicholas will be the first to tell you that he is not a baby. Each reminder is a tiny stab to my heart, but kids grow. That’s the way it is supposed to be.
So, good-bye stroller. So long. Here’s to a long, extended life carting around another family’s tiny-tots. I’ll miss you going through airports, when my purse is getting too heavy to hold and is jammed full of juice-boxes, snacks, Kleenex, crayons and a toy-cars. I’ll think of you when my arms are full of discarded jackets, sweaters, hats, and shoes. And I’ll wish for you when one of the boys is tired and wants to be carried in my arms or on my shoulders, and doesn’t realize that he is getting just a little too heavy for Mommy to carry (sigh).
Thanks for the good times.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment