Nicholas does not like shrimp. In fact, Nicholas isn’t much of a meat-eater. Period. Give the kid a Brussels-sprout, a carrot-stick, a stalk of celery, and he’ll gobble it up. But, meat? Not happening. Suppertime takes forever. Nicholas can chew the smallest piece of chicken endlessly, like a cow chewing her cud. He’s at the table long after Pierre, Benjamin and I are done, and the dishes are cleaned. The other night, Pierre noticed Nicholas chewing on something in the bath. It was the piece of steak that the little bug had put in his mouth at the table – 20 minutes before. Ugh.
When we made shrimp on the B.B.Q. for supper last Sunday, Benjamin was thrilled. “I seafood, I eat it!!” said Ben. His little brother was completely unimpressed.
“What’s for supper?” Nicholas asked as I chopped Brussels-sprouts on a cutting board.
“Steak, shrimp and Brussels-sprouts,” I replied.
Nicholas made a face, “I don’t like shrimp”.
“I know, but you have to eat at least one.” What a horrible mom I am, making my child eat something he doesn’t like!
At the table, Nicholas immediately counted his one piece of shrimp, then dumped steak-sauce all over it. I’m not super-fussed about what the shrimp is swimming in, as long as it gets eaten. Surprise, surprise…that tiny piece of shrimp sat on Nicholas’ plate until the end of the meal. Finally, I had had enough:
“Nicholas! Put that shrimp in your mouth now!!”
He did. And it sat in his mouth just about as long as it had on the plate. Nicholas chewed, and chewed, and chewed some more, until the shrimp was a pasty glob against his cheek. No amount of encouragement could get my youngest to swallow his seafood.
Completely exasperated, I said to Pierre, “I need to start reciting the Serenity Prayer right now.”
Benjamin asked, “Mommy, what’s the Serenity Prayer?”
“It’s all about learning that there are some things in life that you can’t change, and being okay with that,” I explained.
Apparently, my explanation made sense to Nicholas because he immediately piped-up (with a mouthful), “So, I okay with just one shrimp!”
God grant me the Serenity…
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment