Two quick and funny stories from the boys this week…
First - we all were sitting at the table having supper one evening when Nicholas piped-up from his bowl of chili:
“Mommy, can Barack Obama drive a Gator?”
Umm…what?!
After choking back a mouthful of my meal, I replied. “I guess that Barack Obama could drive a Gator if he wanted to.” He’s the President of the United States after all. I figure he can pretty much do whatever he wants to do.
“Oh,” pondered my three-year-old, “Where would he drive his Gator?”
“Well, he could drive it on the lawn of the White House.” I pictured the President riding the green, four-wheeled John Deere across pristine grass with secret service following closely behind on Gators of their own.
“Umm, Nicholas,” I said. “Do you know who Barack Obama is?”
Nicholas thought for a moment, “Nope.”
“Nicholas,” chimed-in the smarty-pants across the table, “He’s the President of America.”
“Ok,” replied Nicholas, clearly not interested in who Barack Obama is, so long as the he – the President - can drive a Gator.
Pierre then asked the boys if they knew who is Prime Minister of Canada. This led to a whole conversation between Ben and his Papa about what a Prime Minister is. Nicholas, for his part, went back to finishing his supper obviously not caring if the Prime Minister can drive a Gator on Parliament Hill.
And second - a few nights ago Benjamin woke up crying around three in the morning. Ugh. I feigned unconsciousness while Pierre got up, and headed sleepily to Ben’s room. A few minutes later, Pierre was back in bed, and Ben was quiet again.
“What was wrong?” I asked.
“He wanted to know what the word hydrated means,” Pierre replied.
Seriously?
When Pierre and I asked Benjamin about it that night at dinner, Ben explained: “I was upset because I couldn't remember what hydrated means.”
“Where did you hear that word?” I asked.
“Papa said it to you, Mommy.”
I wracked my brain to remember the conversation that Ben had overheard.
“Maybe when you had a headache?” Pierre suggested.
Right.
For the past two weeks, I had had a nagging headache. Turns out it was a sinus and inner-ear infection, but Pierre had asked me often if I was drinking enough, water that is; if I was staying hydrated. Turns out, my inquisitive (what a nice word for nosy) oldest had overheard the word, folding it into the unfathomable recesses of his brain, only to have it wake him (and us!) in the wee-hours of the morning.
Good grief.
Honestly, I cannot make this stuff up.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment