Nicholas came home with a progress report from preschool today.
He did well. I wasn’t surprised. Nicholas loves school, absolutely everything about it. He loves going to school three days a week. He’d go everyday if he could. He loves learning and playing and snacking. He loves the flag and calendar, letter of the week and learning numbers too. He loves the Weather Bear (and now has a Weather Frog in his room), when it’s his turn to have a job for the day, and sitting next to his friends at lunch. He comes home bubbling-over with all the exciting things that he has done, all the new adventures he has had.
Today, Nicholas learned about the letter P, ate Goldfish for snack, and had a friend cut him a Christmas tree to put on a collage. It was a good day.
Nicholas’ teachers are good to him, and good for him. They have expectations that he wants to meet. They make learning fun and warm and welcoming. They love Nicholas, and he loves (LOVES!) them. Wholeheartedly. I could not have chosen a better first school experience for Nicholas.
Which is good, because Nicholas wants to have more or less nothing to do with anything that I want to teach him.
Writing his name on Valentines.
Today, when he came home with a good progress report, Pierre and I were pretty proud. So was Grand-Papa, who is here visiting. We told Nicholas all about how happy we were that he was working so hard, and loving school so much. Keep it up, we said. And I silently hoped that we’d be saying the same ten years from now.
Nicholas wanted to call Grandma to tell her about his report. I dialed Grandma’s number, and handed the phone to my youngest. He waited, eyes wide, as the phone rang. When Grandma answered, Nicholas excitedly told her:
“Grandma! I got my report card today, and I am perfect!!”
Hmm…not quite what your progress report said, kid. Grandma cracked-up on the other end of the line as Nicholas grinned ear-to-ear.
Nothing wrong with the little bug’s self-confidence.
Perfect, huh? Nicholas must take after Grandpa.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment